Sunday, May 22, 2011

BEEF HOUSE - PING PONG BEEF BALLS

No plans on where for breakfast?  That was me when I chanced upon GAR LOK Eating House at the end of Syed Alwi Road which is behind Jalan Besar Hawker Centre.   I once heard that they have the flat chowta beehoon somewhere in this vicinity but I could not find it.  Came across the famous Sungei Road Laksa which has very thin lemak gravy and you slurp your laksa with a spoon. 

Just a few steps away, I saw the buzz at this old coffee shop.  There was no long queue but one could sense that something is good here as the servers seemed to be in brisk motion taking orders or serving.   The newspaper article on the stall frontage tells you its a crowd puller and  it is worth taking a seat and ask for your order.


Beef House serves Hakka Beef Balls, bigger than usual size in plain soup and I have been a fan of such fare.  I have not seen this in any part of Singapore or at least I have not come across this in my food journey and it's a unique find here.
 
I ordered a $3 bowl of  beef ball soup which was cheng (clear), mild without the usual full-bodied beef flavour but I think it is nicer this way to compliment the  beef balls and it comes with 5 huge beef balls.  It's bouncy, firm, rough in texture because it is handmade and you will certainly enjoy chomping it accompanied by the chilli. 

More than this, the stall owner offers more choices and you can order delectable Yong Tau Foo and thin yellow mee kia noodles and they have real stuff Soon Kueh with fillings that comes with bamboo shoot as the name 'soon' suggests.  Somehow the soon kueh was a too chewy on the skin today.

The Beef House
217 Syed Alwi Road
(junction of Syed Alwi and Townshend Road)
Singapore 207776



Tel: 9821 5463



Opening Hours: 8am to 6pm, closed on Fridays


Other Outlets
97 Joo Chiat Road, closed on Mondays

218 Killiney Road, opens daily


No comments:

Post a Comment